• 10 dec 2017: forum version update. In case of issues use this topic.
  • 30 nov 2017: pilight moved servers. In case of issues use this topic.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Low-profile PCB design
Hi all,

I've created a simple PCB design for the BPF, sender and receiver kit that curlymo sells. It's still untested, even parts of the schematic, but I thought I might receive some feedback by posting it here.
The board is now redesigned using EAGLE. My plan is that the board should fit both model B and model B+ and it should be as low profile as possible (it should fit, fully assembled, inside a normal RPi case). I've put mounting holes on the board to which one could fit supports and lined them up with the mounting holes on both models. The first 26 GPIO pins from the USB side on model B+ are the same as the ones on model B, so that works out nicely. There's a mounting hole for a wire antenna, which should improve range.

Some pictures:

I've attached the EAGLE files.

I'd really like to get some feedback and I'd also like to know if anyone is interested in ordering a prototype (when ordering 10pcs, they'd be around €7,90 incl. VAT, but excluding shipping).

Marten

UPDATE: apparently I created a board for the wrong type of filter. Changed it now.
UPDATE: moved the sender a bit to the right, so it'll probably fit better next to the composite video plug
UPDATE: redesigned using EAGLE, changed the text for this
UPDATE: changed the package I used for the transistor and the TSOP4838 (these ones look better, are smaller, and align better with the correct pins on the components); added a ground plane on top and bottom side of the PCB.
UPDATE: also changed the package used for the capacitor, I was using a package for a ceramic but it should be a electrolytic one.

Attached Files
.zip   EAGLE.zip (Size: 76.79 KB / Downloads: 32)

Really great that you are willing to put this effort into this! But, didn't you just create a PCB for the old analog LPF filter instead of the new digital BPF one?

(12-04-2014, 11:00 AM)curlymo Wrote: Really great that you are willing to put this effort into this! But, didn't you just create a PCB for the old analog LPF filter instead of the new digital BPF one?

Whoops, I might have... I based it on this youtube video. If you could send me the schematics for the new digital filter I'll create a new version.

https://github.com/pilight/pilight_firmware

(12-04-2014, 11:06 AM)curlymo Wrote: https://github.com/pilight/pilight_firmware

Thanks, the design is updated.

Great! Any idea where i can order some?

(12-04-2014, 12:21 PM)curlymo Wrote: Great! Any idea where i can order some?

You could order them through Fritzing Fab. I've dealt with them before and they produce good quality, fancy looking PCBs. Their pricing is broadly similar to other producers. The boards are €16,13 a piece [EDIT: ex VAT] for 1-5 pieces and per order €7,50 [EDIT: €13,50] is added for some checking of the sketch, shipping and handling. I'm planning to order one for myself. If you or anyone else would like one as well, we could order them together and save some money. However, I would like to test the board before ordering a whole bunch. As I mentioned: both the board itself and the schematics are completely untested!
By the way: any company that produces PCBs could work with the gerber files I posted, it's just that I have good experiences with Fritzing.

EDIT: I just checked, and the price is actually excluding VAT, and shipping is a bit more expensive (it's actually €9,90).

Good news, look at samenkopen.net

Now (+/-) 10 times 10cmx10cm pcb for just 13 euro !!

If the prints are correct, then it's probably now or never Wink

Are both the sender and receiver connected to the Antenna? And what about a PCB antenna? That's how the KlikAanKlikUit increase their range?

(12-04-2014, 10:10 PM)curlymo Wrote: Are both the sender and receiver connected to the Antenna? And what about a PCB antenna? That's how the KlikAanKlikUit increase their range?

No, only the receiver is connected at the moment. I was unsure whether the last pin on the sender was an antenna pin (I've now done some googling and it seems this is the case), I don't think I could just simply string them together to the antenna. I think a PCB antenna (or two) might work, but I've never designed such a thing.