• 10 dec 2017: forum version update. In case of issues use this topic.
  • 30 nov 2017: pilight moved servers. In case of issues use this topic.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
function: DATE_ADD
The wiki states that the DATE_ADD function requires a datetime device, or a date/time string in the format
Code:
"YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS"

I need to compare a calculated time to the actual time of day, regardless of the date.

Will the function work safely and correctly if I omit the date part like:

Code:
DATE_ADD("21:00:00", + RANDOM(0, 210) MINUTE)

In other words will the function use the current date if the date part is omitted?

Next, I need to compare the result of the function to the current time, but the datetime protocol only has numeric fields and the comparison would need a date/time stringUnsure

Finally, shouldn't the operator be "IS" instead of "==" because we are comparing strings?

Can you write a pseudo rule of everything included?

The best way to explain how I am using time calculations and randomiziation is by showing one of my current rules.
I created an extended version of the switch action that accepts a random range for the FOR option that I have sucessfully used during the last few weeks (doing the same for AFTER would be easy).

Code:
"IF vakantie.state IS on AND kantoor.state IS off AND (datetime.second % 10) == 0 AND datetime.time == (21.00 +t (0 ~ 120)) THEN switch DEVICE kantoor TO on FOR 5 ~ 60 UNIT 60"

The (datetime.second % 10) == 0 is only there to solve the issue that the rule otherwise was not executed and for clarity I will leave that out.

The result of replacement of the operators by the DATE_ADD and RANDOM functions would look like:

Code:
"IF vakantie.state IS on AND kantoor.state IS off AND current_datetime_string IS DATE_ADD("21.00",  +RANDOM(0, 120) MINUTE) THEN switch DEVICE kantoor TO on FOR RANDOM(5, 60) MINUTE"

The optimal solution would be however to have the current time available as a number (like in my newdatetime protocol) and to allow randomization for both FOR and AFTER:

Code:
"IF vakantie.state IS on AND kantoor.state IS off AND datetime.time == 21.00 THEN switch DEVICE kantoor TO on AFTER RANDOM(0, 120) MINUTE FOR RANDOM(5, 60) MINUTE"

The DATE_ADD function wouldn't even be required in this case Confused

Looking at my own working rules I found one more issue: calculations with sunrise and sunset times. These also are numbers and not strings, so cannot be used as a parameter for the DATE_ADD function nor can be compared to the result of that function.

I am not trying to push my operatorsSmile, functions that allow to achieve the same goal are fine, but because all date- and time values in pilight are numbers I personally think that a string based DATE_ADD function is not an adequate solution here.
Of course one can think of adding a MKTIME function and/or FORMAT functions, but that would just make rules more complicated.

Function return values are not numbers or string by default. This depends on what is returned. pilight checks the parsed values for numbers or strings. DATE_ADD will always return a string, but DATE_FORMAT doesn't:

Number:
Code:
DATE_FORMAT(datetime, %H%M%S)

String
Code:
DATE_FORMAT(datetime, "%H%M%S")

String
Code:
DATE_FORMAT(datetime, %c)

DATE_ADD can be turned into a number with DATE_FORMAT:
Code:
DATE_FORMAT(DATE_ADD(datetime, +1 HOUR), \"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S\", %H.%M)

Your final rule is not yet possible. It will be in the final version.

The wiki didn't say anything about the DATE_FORMAT function, so I didn't know that it existed.
I will try to convert my time based rules using both functions and see what that brings.

I thought you read the commit messages :p I have to write that page still. Examples of the new functions can be already found here though: http://wiki.pilight.org/doku.php/examples The input variables are the same as strftime. So you can lookup that manual.

DATE_FORMAT wiki page created.

You know what's funny. I wanted to implement this feature today:
Code:
DATE_FORMAT(DATE_ADD(2015-01-01 21:00:00, RANDOM(0, 120) MINUTE), \"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S\", %H.%M)
seems it already works Big Grin

This rule now works as well:
Code:
IF vakantie.state IS on AND kantoor.state IS off AND DATE_FORMAT(datetime, %H.%M) == 21.00 THEN switch DEVICE kantoor TO on AFTER RANDOM(0, 120) MINUTE FOR RANDOM(5, 60) MINUTE

Hi all,

I am always getting an error when trying to start this formular.
Code:
"alarm_light1": {
"rule": "IF sunriseset.sunset == DATE_FORMAT(DATE_ADD(datetime, -1 HOUR), \"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S\", %H.%M) AND Kueche.state IS off AND datetime.second == 0  THEN switch DEVICE Kueche TO on",
"active": 1

Error:
Code:
[Dec 16 21:48:03:292062] pilight-raw: ERROR: DATE_ADD requires the datetime parameter to be formatted as "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"

Any ideas? It is in pilight version 7.0

Thanks.

"datetime" is invalid in this contect. It is the name of a protocol, not of a device. You should create a datetime device to use here

(12-17-2015, 09:35 AM)Niek Wrote: "datetime" is invalid in this contect. It is the name of a protocol, not of a device. You should create a datetime device to use here

Thats it perfect! I changed "datetime" to Zeit (name of my datetime device) now it is working.

Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DATE_FORMAT & DATE_ADD heural 7 2,542 12-22-2016, 10:21 PM
Last Post: curlymo
  Timer function curatio 4 2,475 08-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Last Post: curatio
  Function "EVERY" needed Alex 2 1,569 06-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Last Post: terrar