• 10 dec 2017: forum version update. In case of issues use this topic.
  • 30 nov 2017: pilight moved servers. In case of issues use this topic.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pushover no longer working
Hi there,

just updatet to 8.1.1-22-g0c79ac62

Now pushover is no longer working. Didn´t Change anything in the rule and it worked till before the update.

Code:
[Jul 07 07:55:16:535078] pilight-daemon: ERROR:
... (indoor3.temperature - 3))) THEN pushover TITLE Schlafzimmer MESSAGE Lüften TOKEN xxx USER xxx
                                                    ^ unexpected symbol, expected an Action

Pushover has been removed until someone volunteers to properly integrate it (e.g. adding some unit tests) or wants to help me with it. My call ages ago never got any response.

(07-07-2018, 09:51 AM)curlymo Wrote: Pushover has been removed until someone volunteers to properly integrate it (e.g. adding some unit tests) or wants to help me with it. My call ages ago never got any response.

I apreciate your work and I´m fully aware, that you are working voluntary. 

Unfortunally, it seems, that no one who´s using pushover (including me) is able to fulfill your request but I dont see, why it´s necessary to remove something working.

I loved pilight over years and invested a lot of money in it (not only buying devices but also buying several kits from you),  but it seems, that it´s time to look for something new,

The last 12 month were a little to much for me: Rule Syntax changed several times, Rule processing got more and more unstable, Rules that worked over years don´t produce the expected results.

I´m very frustrated. I am using pilight since 2014 but now it seems that it´s time to say farewell.

There are a few options that apply here:
1. You can stop using pilight.
2. You can stop using pilight nightlies.
3. You can helpi improve pilight (also with knowledge instead of just money*).

You chose option 1 and 2.

My oppinion on this:
1. You don't have to run nightlies. Those can be unstable. That's the whole reason i still offer every pilight version since version 1. Do you know any software that does that? Downgrading is super easy and a howto can be found in the manaul.
2. You don't have to upgrade. Just wait for known issues to be fixed.
3. You can ask me why i change stuff to gain some understanding. I'm certainly willing to explain why i removed pushover for now, but only if you want to listen.

Further more, the effort i'm asking the users are no more than just
1. Informing me about rule parsing instability? I'm not aware of any issues on that side.
2. Informing me about the rule syntax changes that you are complaining about. It hardly changed so i don't know what you mean.
3. Informing me about rules suddenly not working. Haven't heard any complains here either.

About pushover:
1. You are assuming you can't help me fix pushover, but are you sure you can't? I'm pretty certain you can. Only nobody volunteered due to the same assumption. I'm pretty sure that the effort you will be having to move and search for other software is the same effort i need to fix pushover.

Take for example @Niek, he isn't a (very capable) programmer himself, but does what he can to help me running the nightlies, and his efforts are unaffordable.

*for which i'm also gratefull

C´mon Curlymo,

I´m running on Nightly´s since day one, because there where always room and hope for improvement, wether in rule handling or in protocol developement. But to be honest, after a complete rebuild in early 2018, I thought, I was running the main branch… Obviously not.

You don´t know About strange rule behavior?

https://forum.pilight.org/showthread.php?tid=3397
https://forum.pilight.org/showthread.php?tid=3371

You don´t know About Syntax changes?

- changin IS to == (or is it vice versa?)
- changing SECOND to 'Second'
I have a ruleset of about 25 rules. This means unexpected work (finding out changes and correcting them)

It´s not the first time, that you remove protocols for devices, I use a long time (e.g. AMST-606)

And, to be honest again, I´m a simple user with very limited time. Curios but time-limited. I´m having trouble with pilight behavior, try to update and get new Problems with no time to fix them. 

So, for me it seems, that leaving pilight is the best Option.

Simple Example:

Not working, never switches to on (while home is a simple generic button switched to on):
Code:
"nachtlicht": {
                        "rule": "IF sonne.sun == set AND home.state == on THEN switch DEVICE Nachtlicht TO on",
                        "active": 1
                },

Working:
Code:
"nachtlicht-aus": {
                        "rule": "IF sonne.sun == rise THEN switch DEVICE Nachtlicht TO off",
                },

Not working, switches to on but never switches to off:
Code:
"keller_morgens_kino": {
                        "rule": "IF ((zeit.hour == 7 AND zeit.minute == 0 AND zeit.second == 0) AND weather1.temperature < sensor_kino.temperature) THEN switch DEVICE keller_kino TO on FOR '20 MINUTE'",
                },

Working:
Code:
"aqluft_frueh": {
                        "rule": "IF (zeit.hour == 7 AND zeit.minute == 0 AND zeit.second == 0) THEN switch DEVICE aqluft TO on FOR '10 MINUTE'",
                },

(07-07-2018, 04:02 PM)Alex Wrote: C´mon Curlymo,

I´m running on Nightly´s since day one, because there where always room and hope for improvement, wether in rule handling or in protocol developement. But to be honest, after a complete rebuild in early 2018, I thought, I was running the main branch… Obviously not.
Then stop doing it. In every software project nightlies are possibly unstable. Also, don't just upgrade. Check the changelog. That's also common for every software project. If something broke, check the changelog for when it's fixed and keep running an older version. pilight makes it super easy to rollback, so i really don't get the urge to run the last version. If there are no improvements for you then need why should you?

Quote:You don´t know About strange rule behavior?

https://forum.pilight.org/showthread.php?tid=3397
As i told in that thread, this was never suppose to work. I can't support it working before because that was mere luck. The technique of 433.92Mhz devices is just that they can't be switched at the same time. It just doesn't work. You can't blame me that it worked before.

If Google maps was pointing you by chance to a bottle of gold, can you blame them when it stopped working? No, because it wasn't suppose to do it in the first place.

Quote:https://forum.pilight.org/showthread.php?tid=3371
I'm trying to improve things constantly. You tell me something doesn't work. I asked you if it was fixed in the latest pilight version. But then you stopped responding? And again, why didn't you check if it was fixed or just rolled back to a previous version?

Quote:You don´t know About Syntax changes?

- changin IS to == (or is it vice versa?)
You don't consider this an improvement?! Not having to use IS for words and == for numbers, but just using == for both?

Quote:- changing SECOND to 'Second'
The reason for this change is more technical, but believe me, the event parser is much more stable now.

Quote:I have a ruleset of about 25 rules. This means unexpected work (finding out changes and correcting them)
Changing IS to == is just a simpel search and replace. I don't see the big deal here. The quote thing is a bit more work, but i'll promise you that won't change anytime soon. And again, why don't you just downgrade until you have time to fix it?

Quote:It´s not the first time, that you remove protocols for devices, I use a long time (e.g. AMST-606)
I don't remember this one, but i only remove things when they are not implemented properly.

Quote:And, to be honest again, I´m a simple user with very limited time. Curios but time-limited. I´m having trouble with pilight behavior, try to update and get new Problems with no time to fix them. 
Then why don't you just downgrade until it's fixed?

Quote:So, for me it seems, that leaving pilight is the best Option.
You can start using Home-Assistant, but that uses pilight under the hood. Or switch to Domoticz, but that forces you to use an third party device of € 100,- to do the same thing pilight can. And Domoticz isn't that perfect as well. How my house turned into a disco after upgrading Domoticz.

Quote:Simple Example:

Not working, never switches to on (while home is a simple generic button switched to on):
Code:
"nachtlicht": {
                       "rule": "IF sonne.sun == set AND home.state == on THEN switch DEVICE Nachtlicht TO on",
               },
When did you report this?

Quote:Not working, switches to on but never switches to off:
Code:
"keller_morgens_kino": {
                       "rule": "IF ((zeit.hour == 7 AND zeit.minute == 0 AND zeit.second == 0) AND weather1.temperature < sensor_kino.temperature) THEN switch DEVICE keller_kino TO on FOR '20 MINUTE'",
               },
Did you report this?

The reason why i remove code is due to the lack of quality control. The new pilight version is being tested thoroughly. You can check that here. There are currently nearly 200 tests that cover about 82% of all pilight code, and i'm trying to improvement it constantly. The difference with the old versions was that when someone reported something not working, i fixed it, but didn't continously test for it to work in the future. When someone now tells me something doens't work, i create a new test for it to make sure it will keep working in the future.

Like these:
Reported by @Niek, fixed it and created a test for it, so it will work in the future.
https://github.com/pilight/pilight/commi...a3300ae23b

Another example reported by @Niek:
https://github.com/pilight/pilight/commi...dde0f116db

And another:
https://github.com/pilight/pilight/commi...f48a8e2c88

Reported by @Ulrich.Arnold, fixed it and created 2 test for it, so it will work in the future.
https://github.com/pilight/pilight/commi...315bf7ad38

The problem with Pushover is that i just don't know how it works. There is no test for it. I really want to create one, but haven't found a user that is willing to help.

And why can't i keep the old version? Because all event modules are now plain text. That means everybody can create rules without having to recompile pilight. They can just write one, put it in the right folder and it will work. For example the old sendmail action. You can find the module in:
/usr/local/lib/pilight/actions/sendmail.lua

It's the same as you can find here:
https://github.com/pilight/pilight/blob/...ndmail.lua

So if you want the old IS operator back, just create a file called is.lua with the following content:
PHP Code:
-- Copyright (C2013 2016 CurlyMo

-- This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
-- 
Licensev2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
-- fileYou can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/.

local M = {}

function 
M.run(ab)
 if 
== b then

return true;
 else
 return 
false;

end
end

function M.associativity()
 return 
30;
end

function M.precedence()
 return 
1;
end

function M.info()
 return {

name "IS",

version "1.0",

reqversion "5.0",

reqcommit "87"

}
end

return M
And put it in /usr/local/lib/pilight/operators, restart pilight and the IS is back. Awesome right?

Extending pilight has never been easier. So porting pushover is also easy, but i need someone to help me with it.

And for the last time. Just rollback to a previous version that worked. Nice and simple.

And as you can expect from nightly versions, we are working hard on getting thing back to normal in this case with pushbullet and pushover. When you would have run stable versions only, you wouldn't have noticed any thing strange, because we would have fixed pushover and pushbullet by then.
https://forum.pilight.org/showthread.php?tid=3409

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rule with&without device. One working not the other... Tamadite 9 975 07-24-2018, 08:55 AM
Last Post: curlymo
  action: pushover Niek 36 16,637 12-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Alex
  Pushover unformatted timestamp Pik 2 1,332 05-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Pik
  help needed: ping rule not working meloen 4 3,086 02-25-2015, 12:55 AM
Last Post: meloen