• 10 dec 2017: forum version update. In case of issues use this topic.
  • 30 nov 2017: pilight moved servers. In case of issues use this topic.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Git active branches and development
First of all, thanks for providing pilight. It is a great tool. I am about to implement a new protocol but I am a little confused about the project structure. The docs say I should create branch based on "development", but this branch seems to be behind "master" and furthermore it does not contain the unit tests. Then there are the "staging" (quite on par with master) and the "rewrite" branches where the latter is also behind but contains unit tests. Are there any recommendations on how to add a new protocol with unit tests?

Second there are many open pull requests and at least the newer protocol related ones seem to be against "staging". Is this the way to submit my code?

Good point. I need to update the contribution guide.

The rewrite branch is the current branch on which active development takes place. Where new feature are added and which contains code not yet implemented in staging and master. It is also the code base which contains the unit tests. However, the rewrite code cannot be compiled into an actually working pilight. 
The rewrite code is constantly being backported into staging until eventually staging and rewrite are back in sync. Staging doesn't contain as much bleeding edge code as rewrite does, but the staging codebase is meant to actually work.

You can either PR directly into rewrite and i'll backport it into staging. Or you do two PR's one into staging which contains the protocol code + manual page and one against rewrite with contains the protocol code + unit test.

Get it Smile

The unit-tests for protocols can be found here:
https://github.com/pilight/pilight/blob/...cols_433.c

And the protocol definitions here:
https://github.com/pilight/pilight/tree/.../protocols

And, thanks for asking for clarification instead of just giving up!

Thanks for the fast answer. Some followup questions: Is it only the lua/interfacing/frontend part which is not working in "rewrite"? So if I base my branch on rewrite will I still be able to use all the pilight-* executables when testing it?
And can you tell what the status of the "s_mfy" branch is? I have some blinds controlled by a somfy and would like to integrate them if possible but the branch seems to be separate from the rest of development.

Quote:Some followup questions: Is it only the lua/interfacing/frontend part which is not working in "rewrite"?

No, there are many more things in rewrite that haven't been ported back to staging. The lua bits are backported in high priority. The whole eventing library is in lua already as some parts of the config parser.

Quote:So if I base my branch on rewrite will I still be able to use all the pilight-* executables when testing it?
The only one guaranteed to work is the pilight-unittest. Check the ci folder on how to compile pilight with unit-testing enabled.

Quote:And can you tell what the status of the "s_mfy" branch is? I have some blinds controlled by a somfy and would like to integrate them if possible but the branch seems to be separate from the rest of development. 
The somfy branch was the work of @wo_rasp, but i haven't seen him for a while.

Thank you. I will start from staging then.

What would be great, if you do a PR against the contribution guide as well, better describing than i did how to contribute. At least those parts that were unclear to you.

I've updated the staging branch contribution guide.

(01-01-2019, 01:06 PM)curlymo Wrote: The somfy branch was the work of @wo_rasp, but i haven't seen him for a while.
I am still around, somfy and oregon protocols are not fully compatible with the rewrite branch. Depending on time i will resume development activities hopefully later this year.

Nice, welcome back!

I would be willing to help if possible, although I probably need to update my hardware first because I noticed that  433Mhz is not always 433MHz.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Config issues from development to stable 8.0 terrar 5 1,346 10-28-2017, 09:56 AM
Last Post: curlymo
  development, orangepi pc+, "no gpio-platform configured" Twain 1 2,082 06-01-2017, 05:51 PM
Last Post: curlymo
  pilight development installation -- failed / what is the secret? gneandr 5 2,516 02-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Last Post: gneandr
  Development Version kniazio 8 2,869 01-23-2017, 12:05 AM
Last Post: wo_rasp
  Development version \ kaku_dimmer Nelus82 2 1,731 03-18-2014, 02:33 PM
Last Post: Nelus82