• 10 dec 2017: forum version update. In case of issues use this topic.
  • 30 nov 2017: pilight moved servers. In case of issues use this topic.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas Wanted Decision Matrix
Hey Folks, 

I´d like to optimize my Basement ventliation to get rid of unwanted humidity.

But, things are not that simple, so I'd like to hear some ideas on how to implement this.

I´d like to have a Matrix to deceide, wether Basement Ventilation is usefull or not.
The Problem is to determine via a rule, if the outside absolute humidity is lower than the inside absolute humidity.
As an example:

1.) outside less water per m³ in the Air => Ventilation will dry the basement

Outside: 0°C and 60% Humidity => 3g water/m³
Inside: 20°c and 40% Humidity => 7g water/m³

2.) outside more water per m³ in the Air => Condensation on the Walls

Outside: 25°C and 20% Humidity => 5g water/m³
Inside: 18°c and 30% Humidity => 4g water/m³

I am looking for a Solution to help pilight making a smart decission based on the absolute amount of water in the air, while inside and outside temp and hum. is given.

Any ideas?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Can you put the rules you are seeking in words?

(02-27-2019, 09:52 PM)curlymo Wrote: Can you put the rules you are seeking in words?

That´s part of the Problem. I have no idea, how such a rule should look like.

Something like "IF (absolute outdoor humidity (outdoor.temperature 100% diagram value mutliplied with outdoor.humidity)) <= (absolute indoor humidity (indoor.temperature 100% diagram value mutliplied with indoor.humidity)) THEN switch DEVICE vent TO on"

I am afraid, there is Kind of a small database needed.

Can you put it in code tags?

Also, try to describe the rule in just plain English. Like, if this happens and that there should happen this. And so on.

Hi Curlymo,

I didn´t use Codetags, because it´s no Code... Angel 

In my first Posting I tried to describe, what I wanted to achieve.

Second try:

Depending on temperature, Air can carry more or less Water (Damp), means that air at e.g. 10°C can carry 9g Water per m³, wich is 100% humidity. If the rel.hum is 50%, it means, that the air carries 4,5g water per m³ without condensation. 

If the Basement has 18°C at 50% rel. humidity, the maximum humidity the air can carry is 16g/m³ and actual there is 8g/m³ in the air. If the outside temperature is 25°C at 40% humidity, the outside air carries 9g/m³ Water in itself => Condensation on the walls will occur, Ventilation is Useless.

I´m trying to find out wether or not Ventilation is usefull.

Better described? I am afraid, there is no IFTTT for this, because probably there is a database needed? Decission Base schould be the absolute amount of water per m³ in the air.

I asked for code tags because it makes it more readable. Also when it's not code. See for yourself. So please still change it.

Code:
If basement temperature is above 17 degrees and the humitidy is above 49% and the outside temperature below 25 degrees and the humidity is below 40% then ventilate?
Is that what you want?

(02-28-2019, 09:32 PM)curlymo Wrote: I asked for code tags because it makes it more readable. Also when it's not code. See for yourself. So please still change it.

Code:
If basement temperature is above 17 degrees and the humitidy is above 49% and the outside temperature below 25 degrees and the humidity is below 40% then ventilate?
Is that what you want?

Hi Curlymo,

No, this is easy to achieve.

Perhaps once again... Thermometers only are able to show relative humidity. So if a Thermometer says „18 degree Celsius and 50% humidity“ it means, that the air carries 50% of the Maximum damp-Volume at 18 degree. The Maximum damp Volume at 18 degree is 16g/m3 and in the Moment, there is 8g water as damp per m3 in the air.

If you lead air with e.g. 25g damp per m3 in a room with 18 degree Celsius Air Temperature, the maximum the air can carry is 18g/m3 (100% Humidity) and 7g Water per m3 will condensate on the walls. This is the reason, why you should not ventilate your Basement on summer days.

I want to have a rule, wich compares outside absolute humidity (the calculated humidity based  on the diagram of post 1)and not the relative humidity read from a thermometer to decide, wether if Ventilation will be usefull or if Air-Damp will condensate on the walls.

Hope, this explains my Problem...;-)

Somehow, you are not able to describe it in such i way i understand. Or i'm just too stupid Wink

Okay.

Code:
Get Outdoor.temperature
Determine 100% water Value from diagram at Outdoor.temperature
Outdoor.absolut=Multiply Outdoor.humidity with 100% Value

Get indoor.temperature
Determine 100% water Value from diagram at indoor.temperature
indoor.absolut=Multiply Indoor.humidity with 100% Value

If outdoor.absolut<indoor.absolut then switch Ventilator to on

Now better...? ;-)

But why do you need a database for this? To store the matrix values?