• 10 dec 2017: forum version update. In case of issues use this topic.
  • 30 nov 2017: pilight moved servers. In case of issues use this topic.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

mysql integration for configuration
One of the wishes i have is to allow saving the configuration of devices and locations in a mysql database. This also makes it easier to create configuration wizards.

This would generate more disk (or network) activity compared with the currnet (in memory) solution?
Also it would give problems/errors when a remote MySQL server is unreachable.
On the other hand : I like the idea Smile

It's not meant as a replacement but as an additional option.

You could use a SQLlite local database in the Pi itself. Is always reachable and fast Smile

Or both Wink

My two cents of experience with a RPi and Wordpress using MySQL as a (local) database is: it works great. So I vote for you to create an option to put all the configuration and state information into a MySQL database or, as wous stated, in a SQLlite database.

Why not use MongoDB?
It's a NoSQL database which is usung JSON objects.. totaly in line with pilight!!!

The goal is not to replace the current file config with a JSON capacle DB, but to add an additional database option that adds supports for things like time logging event such as temperature.

curlymo Wrote:The goal is not to replace the current file config with a JSON capacle DB, but to add an additional database option that adds supports for things like time logging event such as temperature.

Well, it's just a database engine with all the benefits of it, but without the need to structure all the data in tables. In that respect it is far more usable for what you have in mind than a SQL database. And it can riside next to the config file or, if you want it, place the config in the database..

I like this discussion Smile

The problem is that most people run MySQL on their systems (NAS-es) and not MongoDB. Maybe i can check if MongoDB is easily to integrate in existing software just like the webserver code.